Sunday, July 24, 2011

Everybody Has Their Issue(s)

Oh my. One more offensive animated feature.

An organization that calls itself Forum for the Hindu Awakening protested [the planned July 21st screening of Sita Sings the Blues.] The emails called the film denigrating and insulting, and said freedom of expression cannot be absolute. A worried Pastor Mathew John, who owns the pavilion, decided to cancel the screening. ...

And so it goes. Another religion protests a film about it. Bob Iger is uncomfortable with Song of the South. So I guess the Forum for Hindu Awakening cam be bent out of shape about Sita.

I think that Christians should be protesting the Jeffrey Hunter version of , but that's me.

Here's what the brouhaha is about:

And what rankles Bob Iger:

So now a confession: In the long ago 1950s, when Dwight Eisenhower ruled the country with a kind and grandfatherly hand, my old man was allowed to check a 16 mm print of Song of the South out of Walt Disney Productions' film library and show the film in our living room on one of the company's really bad 16 mm projectors.

I don't know what the company was thinking.

Though the film broke a couple of times (did I mention the projector was really bad?) my young eyes got to take in the entire feature -- 100 minutes of live-action and animation. Though I only fainted once, I have been scarred ever since.

Like I say, everybody has their issues.

9 comments:

Kukulcan said...

"Philosophy is questions that may not be answered, Religion is answers that may not be questioned"

I imagine the director of "Sita" actually being thankful to that Hindu Awakening group protesting the film, cause otherwise the short would have gone un-noticed. The more I watched, the more fond I was of the short's funny take on the Hindu religion. Let's face it, all religions are silly. And why should religion be beyond criticism?

K.

Anonymous said...

I think the group has the absolute free-speech right to complain about how they think their beliefs are depicted. They have all the right in the world to make their own animation that does it the way they would like. I was right up there defending them when they said it was denigrating and insulting. I don't agree, but they have the right to say it...

But then they said this: "freedom of expression cannot be absolute"

See, this is where religion generally goes wrong. Often, these people aren't content to disagree. They want to take away people's *right* to say things they disagree with.

All over the world people act like their gods have power over time, space and the universe, but these same mighty gods are powerless and need militant defending against cartoonists?

mud said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J74y88YuSJ8

I'd like to thank him for the a.c., the elevator and for inventing restaurants...

Anonymous said...

I'll bet where you fainted is the same point in the film where my son went into hysterics.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Iger wouldn't dream of releasing Song of the South, but sell the parks to the Chinese or a Saudi Prince? No problem...

What an asshat.

Anonymous said...

That nascar prayer was hilarious! It's about how seriously one needs to take ANY religion.

If anyone would be offended by Sita Sings the Blues, it should be anyone who has to suffer through it.

Anonymous said...

Boogedy boogedy boogedy amen!!!

Anonymous said...

Kukulcan... what "short" were you watching?

"Sita" is an 80 minute feature.

Kukulkan said...

my bad...yes it is a feature.

K.

Site Meter