Thursday, July 02, 2015

Best Picture

Awards prediction?

It is halftime for the 2015 Oscar race, but at this point only one movie released in the first six months of this year looks to make the list of Best Picture nominees. And no, with all apologies to Vin Diesel, it is not Furious 7. So with that in mind let me tell you that right now on July 1, Disney/Pixar’s Inside Out is leading the race for the Academy Awards. ...

My opinion? Beauty and the Beast should have won the Best Picture Oscar in the early nineties. But it didn't.

There's a reason for that. Academy members tilt heavily to live-action, which is their bread and butter. Animated features? Good for the kiddies, but not serious fodder for the Numero Uno Academy Award.

So put me down as somebody who believes that animated cartoons can secure Best Picture nominations, but never the big prize itself.

Inside Out will never win for Best Picture. As always, I hope my analysis is wrong. (Happily, the picture is doing great at the box office.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Didn't they create the Best Feature Animation category just for the purpose of keeping animated films out of the Best Picture race? So that something like the big scare with Beauty and the Beast won't happen again?

Steve Hulett said...

Could still happen. It's theoretically possible that an animated feature could win BOTH "Best Animated Feature" and "Best Picture", though I doubt that would ever happen.

The majority of Academy members work in live-action, so it stands to reason they will vote for live-action. I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will.

Site Meter