Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ralph Hulett Seascape #2

Ralph Hulett wash
(c) by the Estate Of Ralph Hulett. Click on the thumbnail to see a full-sized image.

Hey hey! It's Wednesday, and time for another watercolor! This is the second in a series of Hulett seascapes; considerably different than earlier 'scapes. These were more impressionistic, done in the late sixties

I'm sprinkling these in amongst other posts. By and by, there will be more watercolor washes along the same lines. (Ralph H. won a national watercolor award for a different painting -- yet to come -- in this series.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, spontaneous piece, Steve! It reminds me of my friend Herb Ryman's work he did on his land at Garrapata Creek.
On day he and I went there to draw and paint, and he chose to work in watercolor. I was having difficulty with watercolor, and asked him how come he did so well with it. He responded: "Sometimes the paint wins; sometimes the paper wins; sometimes I win."

DisneyDave said...

What a beautiful piece of art! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve - I met your Dad in the late 60's/early 70's and was gifted one of his watercolors, "Mendocino Hills", by his [crazy] art dealer for helping with a show at a bank [Crocker maybe?] I was 17 or 18 at the time but still have the painting in my living room. I can give you the whole story sometime, if you like.
Best Neil Thorson n.thorson@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

What do I do with a 1945, signed Ralph Hulett of "Dana Point" that was given to my grandma (friend from Illinois) through a signed note? It's a 15 x 20 watercolor on paper that I just discovered in my mother's house. davis091@juno.com

Site Meter