Rise of the Guardians, in 3500 theaters, might be under-performing a wee bit:
Guardians 3D fell -22% from Wednesday to Thursday. But even rival studios say the toon should come back very strong Friday. Nevertheless, this teaming up of fantasy characters from Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny to the Tooth Fairy is really underperforming and may not get much past $30M for the 5-day holiday. ...
The way pictures line up (box office wise) right now? ...
1. Breaking Dawn Part 2 (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 1 [Runs 4,070] PG13 Wednesday $13.3M, Thursday $8.3M (-37%) -- 3-day Weekend $41.0M, 5-day Holiday $62.6M, Cume $225.6M
2. Skyfall (Eon/MGM/Sony) Week 2 [Runs 3,526] PG13
Wednesday $7.4M, Thursday $7.7M (+4%) -- 3-Day Weekend $32.6M, 5-Day Holiday $47.8M, Cume $218.4M
3. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 2,018] PG13 Wednesday $4.2M, Thursday $4.8M (+16%) -- 3-Day Weekend $21.0M, 5-Day Holiday $30.1M, Cume $58.2M
4. Life Of Pi 3D (Fox) NEW [Runs 2,902] PG Wednesday $3.6M, Thursday $4.5M (+24% -- 3-Day Weekend $20.3M, 5-Day Weekend $28.4M
5. Rise Of The Guardians 3D (DreamWorks Anim/Par) NEW [Runs 3,653] PG Wednesday $4.8M, Thursday $3.7M (-22%) -- 3-day Weekend $21.8M, 5-Day Holiday $30.4M
6. Red Dawn (Film District) NEW [Runs 2,679] PG13 Wednesday $4.2M, Thursday $3.2M (-22%) -- 3-Day Weekend $13.6M, 5-Day Holiday $21.0M
7. Wreck-It Ralph 3D (Disney) Week 3 [Runs 3,259] PG Wednesday $3.7M, Thursday $2.4M (-33%) -- 3-Day Weekend $15.4M, 5-Day Holiday $21.6M, Cume $148.1M
8. Flight (Paramount) Week 3 [Runs 2,638] R Wednesday $1.2M, Thursday $1.4M (+18%) -- 3-Day Weekend $6.4M, 5-Day Holiday $9.2M, Cume $72.7M
9. Silver Linings Playbook (Weinstein) NEW [Runs 367] R Wednesday $656K, Thursday $612K (-8%) -- 3-Day Weekend $3.4M, 5-Day Holiday $4.6M, Cume $5.2M
10. Argo (Warner Bros) Week 6 [Runs 1,255] R Wednesday $568K, Thursday $614K (+7%) -- 3-Day Weekend $2.5M, 5-day Holiday $3.7M, Cume $96.7M
Wreck-It Ralph appears to be having a robust holiday weekend, with another $21.6 million projected to flow into the box office. Will Guardians get a lot higher than $30 million? It's got an "A" Cinemascore, so here's hoping. But we'll have to wait and see.
Add On: From the Nikkster -- "DreamWorks Animation’s Rise Of The Guardians 3D fell -22% from Wednesday to Thursday. But the toon came back very strong Friday: +149%. Nevertheless, this teaming up of fantasy characters from Santa Claus to the Easter Bunny to the Tooth Fairy distributed by Paramount is really underperforming and may not even get past $32M for the 5-day holiday."