Summer box office's last hurrah and for the first time in a long while, there's no animated pic in the Top Ten:
1. Final Destination 3-D (WB) Wk 1 [3,121], $3.5M Fri, 3-day $11.5M, 4-day $14M
2. All About Steve (Fox) NEW [2,251] $3.5M Fri, 3-day $11.2M, 4-day $14M
3. Gamer (Lionsgate) NEW [2,502] $3.2M Fri, 3-day $8.5M, 4-day $10.5M
4. Inglourious Basterds (Wein/Uni) $3M Fri, 3-day $11M, 4-day $13.5M
5. District 9 (Sony) Week 4 [3,139] $1.7M Fri, Cume $96M, 4-day $8M
6. Halloween II (Weinstein) Week 2 [3,088] $1.7M Fri, Cume $21.7M, 4-day $6.5M
7. Julie & Julia (Sony) Week 5 [2,528] $1.3M Fri, $74.9M, 4-day $6M
8. Extract (Miramax) NEW [1,611] $1.3M Fri, 4-day $4.5M
9. G.I. Joe (Paramount) Week 5 [2,846] $1.2M Fri, Cume $135.5M, 4-day $7M
10. Time Traveler's Wife (WB) Week 4 [2,803] $1.1M Fri, Cume $51.5M, 4-day $4M
But, of course, there will be a lot of animated flicks hitting the multiplexes in the next few months, so it's not like there's a drought of anything. (White doggie, still active in Japan, now owns a worldwide gross of $308.3 million.)
Add On: The shorter weekend is in, and the leaders in the Top Ten turn out to be Final Destination ($12.4 million), All About Steve $11.2 million), and Inglourious Basterds ($10.8 million).
Down list, animated toonage G-Force has taken $114.6 million, Tranformers now owns $400.4 million, and Ponyo is just a smidge shy of $13 million ...
Add On Too: And the derby comes into the home stretch.
Fox's Sandra Bullock starrer "All About Steve" proved the weekend's strongest new pic with an estimated $13.9 million in third place, as Warner Bros.' 3D frightfest "The Final Destination" repeated at No. 1 with $15.4 million through Labor Day ...
Elsewhere on the weekend list, Inglourious Basterds (#2) rakes in $15 million and now totals $95.2 million, domestic.
Ponyo (#16) has $13.4 million in the till, while Up at #20 owns $291 million and Ice Age 3 (#21) now stands at $194.2 million ...