Now with the Add Ons.
The Nikkster, always the hostess with the mostest, let's us know that, at the starting gate of this middle of the month weekend, the ogre won't be finishing at #1 this time.
... [S]tudio sources tell me that very early numbers show that Sony's kid-friendly Karate Kid reboot starring Will Smith's son and Jackie Chan and updating the action to kung fu will be #1 this weekend with $50+M. ...
Nikki informs us that the A-Team looks to be a distant second, but I'm wondering if it ends up third.
Add On: Sure enough, Shrek IV comes in third with $4.4 million as it lumbers across the $200 million marker ...
Add On Too:The Top Five come out pretty much as predicted:
1. Karate Kid (Sony) NEW [3,663 Theaters] -- Friday $19M, Saturday $21.5M, Weekend $56M
2. The A-Team (Fox) NEW [3,535 Theaters] -- Friday $9.6M, Saturday $10M, Weekend $26M
3. Shrek Forever After (DWA/Par) Week 4 [3,868 Theaters] -- Friday $4.3M, Saturday $6.7M, Weekend $15.8M, Cume $210.3M
4. Get Him To The Greek (Universal) Week 2 [2,702 Theaters] -- Friday $3.3 (-47%), Saturday $3.8M, Weekend $10M, Cume $36.5M
5. Killers (Lionsgate) Week 2 [2,859 Theaters] -- Friday $2.7M (-52%), Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $8M, Cume $30.7M
Shrek IV had the lowest drop (-38%) of any of the top-of-list movies. It will undoubtedly take a bigger hit next week when Toy Story 3 rides into the mix. But I'm still figuring Shrek to have a 4+ multiple of its first weekend gross after all the dust settles.
Summer, after all, has barely begun.