Now with extra rich Add On.
The early numbers per the Nikkster:
1. Rio 3D (Fox) NEW [3,826 Theaters] Friday $10M, Estimated Weekend $38M ...
2. Scream 4 (Miramax/Dimension/Weinstein Co) NEW [3,305 Theaters] Friday: $8.7M, Estimated Weekend $22M
3. Insidious (FilmDistrict) Week 3 [2,233 Theaters] Friday $2.3M, Estimated Weekend $7.1M, Estimated Cume $36M
4. Hop (Universal) Week 3 [3,608 Theaters] Friday $2.2M, Estimated Weekend $9M, Estimated Cume $90M
5. Soul Surfer (FilmDistrict/Sony) Week 2 [2,214 Theaters] Friday $2.2M, Estimated Weekend $6.3M, Estimated Cume $19M
6. Arthur (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,276 Theaters] Friday $2.1M, Estimated Weekend $6.4M (-48%), Estimated Cume $22M
7. Hanna (Focus Features) Week 2 [2,545 Theaters] Friday $2M (-53%), Estimated Weekend $6.5M (-48%), Estimated Cume $22.2M
8. Source Code (Summit) Week 3 [2,557 Theaters] Friday $1.8M, Estimated Weekend $5.7M, Estimated Cume $36.4M
9. Your Highness (Universal) Week 2 [2,772 Theaters] Friday $1.3M (-66%), Estimated Weekend $4M, Estimated Cume $16M
10. The Conspirator (Roadside Attractions) NEW [707 Theaters] Friday $1.1M, Estimated Weekend $3M
Add On: Sayeth the Nikkster:
Rio 3D opened in the U.S. and Canada Friday and earned a top "A" CinemaScore. [T]he bird flew past the studio's mid-$30s target and even Hollywood's $38M projections. With not many schools out Friday, Saturday's kiddie matinees overperformed.
1. Rio 3D (Fox) NEW [3,826 Theaters] Friday $10.2M, Saturday $19M, Weekend $41M
I will go out on a limb here and say the market for CG animated features will keep getting hotter and hotter. And our fine entertainment conglomerates will want to make themselves even more animated movies to help them rake in the gold.
Add On Too: And the Reporter tells us:
Rio, a sizeable victory for Vanessa Morrison’s Fox Animation Studios and Blue Sky Studios, received an A CinemaScore in North America and is the biggest opening of the year. It’s also the best opening for a G-rated toon since Toy Story 3. On Saturday, Rio was up 65%. The movie is poised to do great midweek business, since kids are out of school for spring break. ...
Add On the 3rd: Box Office Mojo has Rio pulling down $40 million while third place Hop makes do with $11.1 million ... and an $82.6 million total. (The bunny rabbit pic takes a sizable hit, what with Rio coming into the marketplace.)