Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Hoodwinked Deux"

I misspoke.

Kung Fu Panda 2 isn't the next animated feature out.

Looks like Hoodwinked II is ...

"There's inherent drama and a female protaganist and woods and wolves. I think that describes like 80-percent of the movies that most teenagers are into these days." ...

The second installment of the Weinstein brothers original animated hit was produced in Canada and directed by Mike Disa. I'm told it's been sitting on the shelf for a goodly amount of time because the brothers Weinstein, not exactly dripping with excess cash when it was finished, didn't have sufficient funds for a full-bore campaign.

But the Weinsteins have now (apparently) assembled enough greenbacks for a release, and the picture comes out next week. As to the original picture's quality, Samuel Hoelker of Box Office Prophets observes:

... Hoodwinked! has its limitations in terms of box office potential (and, y’know, isn’t as good as Shrek), but it’s obvious from watching the film that it’s not deterred at all by Shrek. It neither attempts to distance itself from Shrek nor become too much like it – it confidently stands its own ground. ...

While I won’t stand by the concept of the sequel, I’ll still see it because I have faith that if Hoodwinked! can turn out really good, why not the sequel?

Maybe all the hit animated movies bouncing around the globe made Harvey W. and his brother to (at last) get their own new cartoon epic to the marketplace.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

". . . Harvey W. and his brother itchy . . ."

Oh, yeah - I remember him! King Leonardo's villainous sibling!

Anonymous said...

This looks like another hit for DreamWorks!

Steve Hulett said...

". . . Harvey W. and his brother itchy . . ."

Oh, yeah - I remember him! King Leonardo's villainous sibling!


Itchy?

Swear to God, I don't think I wrote "itchy." Might be time to change blogger's password.

Funny, though.

Site Meter