Now with blue-tinged Add On.
Two animated features in the Top Ten, but neither of them chart busters:
1. New Years Eve (Warner Bros) NEW [3,505 Theaters] Friday $5M, Estimated Weekend $14.5M
2. The Sitter (Fox) NEW [2,750 Theaters] Friday $3.7M, Estimated Weekend $10M
3. Breaking Dawn Part 1 (Summit) Week 4 [3,605 Theaters] Friday $2.4M, Estimated Weekend $7.7M, Estimated Cume $259.3M
4. The Muppets (Disney) Week 3 [3,328 Theaters] Friday $1.6M, Estimated Weekend $7M, Estimated Cume $65.7M
5. Hugo (Paramount) Week 3 [2,608 Theaters] Friday $1.5M, Estimated Weekend $6M, Estimated Cume $33.3M
6. Arthur Christmas (Sony) Week 3 [3,272 Theaters] Friday $1.4M, Estimated Weekend $6.5M, Estimated Cume $33.4M
7. The Descendants (Fox Searchlight) Week 4 [876 Theaters] Friday $1.3M, Estimated Weekend $4.3M, Estimated Cume $23.5M
8. Jack and Jill (Sony) Week 5 [2,787 Theaters] Friday $870K, Estimated Weekend $3M, Estimated Cume $68.4M
8. Happy Feet Two (Warner Bros) Week 4 [2,840 Theaters] Friday $840K, Estimated Weekend $4M, Estimated Cume $57.1M
10. Tower Heist (Universal) Week 6 [2,069 Theaters] Friday $734K, Estimated Weekend $2.3M, Estimated Cume $74.1m ...
Puss in Boots, bubbling at a low simmer underneath the top tier, now has $140.2 million in its domestic knapsack.
Add On: The Reporter gives us the bad news (as do some commenters):
New Year's Eve' Leads Worst Weekend Since 2008 With $13.7 Million. Jonah Hill starrer "The Sitter" comes in second with $10 million; weekend is down 15 percent from last year as a nervous Hollywood prepares for a make-or-break Christmas.