Friday Domestic Box Office
1) Ender's Game -- $9,900,000
2) Bad Grandpa -- $6,090,000
3) Last Vegas -- $5,100,000
4) Free Birds -- $4,000,000
5) Gravity -- $3,610,000 ...
10) Cloudy With Meatballs -- $900,000
The newest animated feature in the mix is Free Birds, an entrant from Reel FX of Texas (and Santa Monica.) The picture has a production budget of $55 million. The Wrap informs us:
... “Free Birds,” the first full-length animated feature for distributor Relativity and Reel FX, brought in a soft $4 million from a market-high 3,736 theaters Friday. It’s a family film and received an “A-” CinemaScore, so it should get a bounce on Saturday and Sunday. But it looks like the modestly budgeted turkey tale, featuring the voices of Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson, will finish under expectations. ...
Be interesting to see how the picture holds over the next few weeks ... before Frozen comes into the marketplace.
Add On: And the three-day totals:
Weekend Domestic Box Office
1. Ender’s Game (Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 3,407] Friday $9.85M, Saturday $10.74M, Weekend $27.6M
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,345] Friday $6.09M, Saturday $8.9M, Weekend $20.75M, Cume $62.3M
3. Last Vegas (CBS) NEW [Runs 3,035] Friday $5.03M, Saturday $7.05M, Weekend $16.3M
4. Free Birds (Relativity) NEW [Runs 3,736] Friday $3.96M, Saturday $7.3M, Weekend $16M
5. Gravity (WB) Week 5 [Runs 3,024] Friday $3.6M, Saturday $6.13M, Weekend $13.1M, Cume $219.2M
6. Captain Phillips (Sony) Week 4 [Runs 3,021] Friday $2.42M, Saturday $3.9M, Weekend $8.5M, Cume $82.6M
7. 12 Years A Slave (Fox Searchlight) Week 3 [Runs 410] Friday $1.26M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $4.8M, Cume $9M
8. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (Sony) Week 6 [Runs 2,430] Friday $0.89M, Saturday $2M, Weekend $4.1M, Cume $106.1M
9. The Counselor (Fox) Week 2 [Runs 3,044] Friday $1.04M, Saturday $1.47M, Weekend $3.39M, Cume $13.8M
10. Carrie (Sony) Week 3 [Runs 2,252] Friday $0.99M, Saturday $1.49M, Weekend $3.38M, Cume $32M