Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sad News -- In Trouble!

We've been slammed at the office lately. I get enough e-mails as it is, and it doesn't get easier when we get an e-mail like the one below from a long-time member. (We will protect this member by re-naming him. Let's call the boy "Don Marconi.")

From: Don Marconi
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:01 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Sad News - Don Marconi (long-time TAG member]

Hope you get this on time, I made a trip to (Ukraine)and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and personal effects therein. The embassy has just issued me a temporary passport but I have to pay for a ticket and settle my hotel bills with the Manager.

I have made contact with my bank but it would take me 5-7 working days to access funds in my account, the bad news is my flight will be leaving in less than 20-hrs from now but I am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until I settle the bills, I need your help/LOAN financially ($2,300) and I promise to make the refund once I get back home, you are my last resort and hope, Please let me know if I can count on you and I need you to keep checking your email because it's the only way I can reach you.

Thanks
Don Marconi ...

Naturally enough, my heart sank ... even as it beat faster. After a moment's reflection, I fired the following off the Don:

From: Steve Hulett
To: don marconidreamerr@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: Sad News - Don Marconi

Don,

We’re all sick about this back here. It's a wicked world, innit? On behalf of the entire staff, you have our good thoughts and prayers.

If and when you make it back to the states, don’t hesitate to call me so I can take you out for a lemonade.

We’re pulling for you, buddy!

Steve H.

3 comments:

Michael Brady said...

This is just a spam email, did you manage to contact Don Marconi by some other means and tell him to change his email password, and maybe run some antivirus?

Might save his friends and family $2,300!

Anonymous said...

I got this same email from the actual person that I know very well and knew right away it was a fake. If the said person was in any type of actual trouble they could call and why would anyone in their right mind be the Ukraine? Oh those scammers.

Annie said...

These types of emails are spam scammers.

Site Meter