Now with Add On
The Indian animated feature Alpha and Omega lands at #5. And Ben Affleck appears to have himself a hit.
1. The Town (Warner Bros) NEW [2,861 Theaters] -- Friday $8.5M, Estimated Weekend $25M
2. Easy A (Screen Gems/Sony) NEW [2,856 Theaters] -- Friday $6.7M, Estimated Weekend $18.5M
3. Devil (Universal) NEW [2,809 Theaters] -- Friday $5.3M, Estimated Weekend $13.5M)
4. Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 2 [3,209 Theaters] -- Friday $2.9M (-73%), Estimated Weekend $9.8M
5. Alpha & Omega (Lionsgate) NEW [2,625 Theaters] -- Friday $2.3M, Estimated Weekend $8.7M
As the L.A. Times relates:
"Alpha and Omega" is the first film of a 5-year-old partnership between Lionsgate and Indian animation studio Crest Entertainment. Even though it's playing in 3-D and will benefit from ticket price surcharges, the story of two wolves on a journey together is expected to generate only about $10 million on its first weekend
Though animated on the sub-continent, A & O was story-boarded in Burbank.
Add On: A and O ends up at #5 with $9.2 million, the only animated feature in the Top Ten.
Despicable Me and Toy Story 3 drop by 40+%, landing at #13 and #18 respectively.
(DM has made $244.7 million, while the third Toy Story's collected 410.6 million domestic dollars.)