Now with cheese-coated Add On!
... also those drunk guys.
Looks to be a barn-burner of a holiday weekend.
The Hangover Part II grossed $31.7 million as it opened at the domestic box office, nabbing the third best Thursday gross of all time.
... Kung Fu Panda sequel also did good business in its debut, grossing $5.8 million on Thursday. Traffic for Kung Fu Panda should pick up today as more and more kids get out of school for summer break ... Panda received a stellar A CinemaScore ...
DWA is clearly on a roll. Four pictures in fourteen months, three of them hits. Not too bad, I'm thinking.
Add On: The Nikkster rolls out the stats:
1. The Hangover Part 2 (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [3,615 Theaters] Thursday $31.6M, Friday $30M, Est 3-day Weekend $87M Est 4-day Memorial Holiday $107, Est 5-Day Cume $139M
2. Kung Fu Panda 2 3D (DWA Animation/Paramount) NEW [3,925 Theaters] Thursday $5.8M, Friday $13.1M, Est 3-Day Weekend $45.5M Est 4-Day Memorial Holiday $56M, 5-Day Cume $65M
3. Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 3D (Disney) Week 2 [4,164 Theaters] Friday $10.8M (-68%), Est 3-Day Weekend $42M Est 4-Day Memorial Holiday $50M, Est Cume $166M
4. Bridesmaids (Universal) Week 3 [2,958 Theaters] Friday $4.6M, Est 3-Day Weekend $16.2M Est 4-Day Memorial Holiday $20.6M, Est Cume $89.3M
5. Thor 3D (Marvel/Disney/Paramount Week 4 [3,296 Theaters] Friday $2.4M, Est 3-Day Weekend $8.5M Est 4-Day Memorial Holiday $12M, Est Cume $162.7M
Add On Too: Looks as though Panda will collect a skosh more than $68 million for the entire Thursday through Monday opening run ($53 million for the holiday weekend. See some interesting comps here.)
I'd say that Hangover nicked the Panda bear a bit, but them's the breaks.
(The original KFP collected $60 million on its June 6, 2008 opening weekend. My guess is the total domestic gross will be close to the original's $215 million accumulation -- a multiple of 4 -- with a bigger foreign take. I'm guesstimating $600-$700+ million when all theatrical receipts are in.)