Paul Feig's Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy headliner The Heat is off to a stellar start at the Northern American box office for 20th Century Fox, grossing $13.6 million on Friday for a projected $39 million weekend.
The news was grim, however, for Roland Emmerich's White House Down, pairing Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. The $150 million film, from Sony, took in around $9 million on Friday to only narrowly beat World War Z ($8.9 million). ...
Disney and Pixar's Monsters University is holding at No. 1 in its second weekend, grossing roughly $14.3 million on Friday for an eight-day domestic cume of $139.1 million. By Sunday, its total is likely to hover around $170 million. ...
The above proves that
A) It's bad to be the second "Attack on the White House" movie into the marketplace, and
B) It's good to be a Pixar sequel.
Friday Box Office (Total Domestic Box Office)
1) MONSTERS UNIVERSITY -- $14,283,000 -- ($139,108,000)
2) THE HEAT -- $13,600,000 -- ($13,600,000)
3) WHITE HOUSE DOWN -- $9,000,000 -- ($9,000,000)
4) WORLD WAR Z -- $8,941,000 -- ($102,863,000)
5) MAN OF STEEL -- $6,015,000 -- ($233,855,000)
Add On: Yep, definitely bad to be the second White House Attacked! But cartoons, they are doing good.
Weekend Domestic Totals
1. Monsters University 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 4,004] G Friday $14.2M, Saturday $17.0M, Weekend $44.5M (-46%), Cume $169.0M
2. The Heat (Fox) NEW [Runs 3,181] R Friday $13.6M, Saturday $13.1M, Weekend $40.0M
3. World War Z 3D (Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,607] PG13 Friday $9.0M, Saturday $11.4M, Weekend $29.2M (-56%), Cume $123.0M
4. White House Down (Columbia/Sony) NEW [Runs 3,222] Friday $8.8M, Saturday $9.2M, Weekend $26.0M
5. Man Of Steel 3D (:egendary/Warner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 4,131] Friday $5.9M, Saturday $8.2M, Weekend $20.5M, Cume $248.3M
6. This Is The End (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [Runs 2,710] R Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.3M, Cume $74.3M
7. Now You See Me (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 5 [Runs 2,564] PG13 Friday $1.7M, Weekend $5.5M, Cume $104.7M
8. Fast & Furious 6 (Universal) Week 6 [Runs 1,550] PG13 Friday $705K, Weekend $2.3M, Cume $233.2M
9. Star Trek Into Darkness (Paramount) Week 7 [Runs 1,035] PG13 Friday $535K, Weekend $1.9M, Cume $220.3M
10. The Internship (New Regency/Fox) Week 4 [Runs 1,008] Friday $415K, Weekend $1.3M, Cume $41.6M