... Exhibitor Relations is reporting that the all-star magician/heist caper Now You See Me earned just a touch more than the Will Smith/Jaden Smith sci-fi vehicle After Earth last night, grossing $10 million vs. After Earth‘s $9.8 million. Even if Now You See Me is front loaded (unlikely, since it’s not a heavily anticipated genre sequel aimed at kids) and ends up with around $23 million, that’s still a huge win for Lionsgate/Summit. ...
Which only goes to show that the L. Ron Hubbard sub-genre tends to under-perform at the whirling turnstiles.
The projections for the weekend:
1. Fast & Furious 6 (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 3,686] PG13 Friday $10.5M, Weekend $35.1M, Cume $171.0M
2. Now You See Me (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 2,925] PG13 Friday $10.0M, Weekend $27.8M
3. After Earth (Columbia/Sony) NEW [Runs 3,401] PG13 Friday $9.8M, Weekend $27.2M
4. The Hangover Part III (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week 2 [Runs 3,565] R Friday $5.2M, Weekend $15.3M, Cume $87.4M
5. Star Trek Into Darkness (Paramount) Week 3 [Runs 3,585] PG13 Friday $4.4M, Weekend $15.5M, Cume $181.0M
6. Epic (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [Runs 3,894] PG13 Friday $4.1M, Weekend $15.6M, Cume $64.3M
7. Iron Man 3 (Disney) Week 5 [Runs 2,895] PG13 Friday $2.2M, Weekend $8.0M, Cume $384.8M
8. The Great Gatsby (Vill Roadshow/Warner Bros) Week 4 [Runs 2,635] PG13 Friday $1.9M, Weekend $6.2M, Cume $128.3M
9. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deew (Bollywood/Eros) NEW [Runs 162] NR Friday $445K, Weekend $1.3M, Cume $1.3M
10. Mud (Roadside Attractions) Week 6 [Runs 580] PG13 Friday $319K, Weekend $1.2M, Cume $16.9M