1. The Conjuring (New Line/Warner Bros) NEW [Runs 2,903] R Friday $16.5M, Weekend $39.0M
2. Despicable Me 2 (Illumination/Universal) Week 3 [Runs 3,820] PG Friday $7.5M (-44%), Weekend $24.0M, Cume $275.0M
3. Grown Ups 2 (Columbia/Sony) Week 2 [Runs 3,491] PG13 Friday $6.5M (-60%), Weekend $20.0M, Cume $79.5M
4. Red 2 (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 3,016] PG13 Friday $6.2M, Weekend $18.0M
5. Turbo (DreamWorks Animation/Fox) Week [Runs 3,806] PG Friday $6.0M, Weekend $19.0M, Cume $27.7M
6. Pacific Rim (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week 2 [Runs 3,285] PG13 Friday $4.8M, Weekend $16.0M, Cume $68.0M
7. R.I.P.D. (Universal) NEW [Runs 2,852] PG13 Friday $4.8M, Weekend $12.0M
8. The Heat (Twentieth Century Fox) Week 4 [Runs 2,689] R Friday $2.9M, Weekend $9.5M, Cume $129.5M
9. Monsters University (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [Runs 2,186] G Friday $1.6M, Weekend $5.3M, Cume $249.3M
10. World War Z (Paramount) Week 5 [Runs 2,066] PG13 Friday $1.5M, Weekend $5.0M, Cume $186.8M
On the one hand, there are three animated features in the Top Ten. On the other hand, Turbo is under-performing so maybe it's good to be a hot sequel when the field is a wee bit crowded.
Animated features with mollusks don't seem to connect well with the general public. Who knew?