Thursday-Friday Box Office
1. Despicable Me 2 (Universal) NEW [Runs 3,957]
Wednesday $35.0M, Thursday $24.5M, Friday $30.5M (+24%)
2. The Lone Ranger (Disney) NEW [Runs 3,904]
Wednesday $9.6M, Thursday $9.8M, Friday $10.6M (+7%)
3. The Heat (Fox) Week 1 [Runs 3,181]
Wednesday $5.2M, Thursday $6.3M, Friday $8.6M (+36%)
4. Monsters University (Pixar/Disney) Week 2 [Runs 4,004]
Wednesday $5.4M, Thursday $5.2M, Friday $7.1M (+37%)
5. World War Z (Paramount) Week 2 [Runs 3,607]
Wednesday $3.9M, Thursday $4.3M, Friday $6.3M (+47%)
6. White House Down (Columbia/Sony) Week 1 [Runs 3,222)
Wednesday $2.6M, Thursday $3.5M, Friday $4.5M (+30%)
7. Man Of Steel (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week [Runs 2,965]
Wednesday $2.3M, Thursday $3.0M, Friday $3.9M (+29%)
8. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain (Summit/Lionsgate) NEW [Runs 876]
Wednesday $4.7M, Thursday $2.5M, Friday $3.7M (+45%)
9. This Is The End (Columbia/Sony) Week 4 [Runs 2,104)
Wednesday $1.2M, Thursday $1.1M, Friday $2.0M (+82%)
10. Now You See Me (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 6 [Runs 1,606]
Wednesday $497K, Thursday $673K, Friday $955K (+42%) ...
It was clear from Despicable's early Australia opening that the feature was going to loom large. As Ms. Finke tells us ...
Despicable Me's opening is among the top animated openings of all time in every market. Territory highlights/records: biggest opening ever for an animated film in Indonesia, Mexico, South Africa, Trinidad and Vietnam; highest opening day ever for all films in South Africa; Universal’s biggest opening day ever in Brazil, Hungary, Mexico and South Africa; third biggest opening day ever in Mexico just behind Iron Man 3 and The Avengers ...
Giving a hungry audience what it wants is what commercial film-making is about. (Despicable Me has already earned $164.8 million worldwide. It's animated rival Monsters University is at $333 million. These numbers will change as we travel through the weekend.)