Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Farewell Ollie

Virgil "VIP" Partch, one of Johnston's assistants, depicts Ollie receiving a compliment from a director on a well-done scene.

Word reaches us that Ollie Johnston passed away yesterday. He was the last of the Disney animation pillars, and he crossed the big river at age 95 ...

I knew Ollie for years, working with him on The Fox and the Hound before his retirement at the tail end of the 1970s.

Ollie was, first and foremost, a tyro animator. When Woolie Reitherman tried to drag him up to one of Woolie's patented, all-day story meetings around the big director's desk in Woolfgang's office, half the time Ollie would not show up. Ollie once told me:

"Gee, those meetings. They go on and on, and we argue over dialogue, and I've got a scene I should be doing down in my office. You guys can do all that without me ..."

Ollie was gentle, gentlemanly, considerate of other people's feelings. I never knew him to utter an unkind word to a co-worker. When he and Frank retired from their first-floor animation duties and moved to a big third-floor office to write "The Illusion of Life," Ollie asked me to read an early draft. I did, and thought it was terrific. He expressed gratitude that I had taken the time. In reality, I was the grateful one, being allowed to read it at all.

He was the last of nine charmed lives that made magic on movie screens for a half-century, and now he's gone. Thanks for everything, Ollie. All of us are the richer because you graced the planet.

Addendum: The Disney press release lionizing Mr. Johnston is here.

4 comments:

JayG said...

The world seems just a little bit empty today. *Salute*

Larry Levine said...

If ever there was a time to watch the "Frank & Ollie" DVD to remember what brilliant animators & gentlemen they both were, it's today!

RIP, Ollie.

Anonymous said...

The Nine Old Men,
All together again.

Anonymous said...

Lord, imagine what they'll come up with!

Site Meter