Thursday, September 27, 2012

At DreamWorks Animation

I spent part of my day at DreamWorks Animation, and got to see a bit of test footage for Me and My Shadow, with hand-drawn animation (the shadow) merged with everything else (the CG characters, CG furniture, CG walls, etc.) ...

As a staffer told me:

"We're doing the rough hand-drawn animation in-house, with several animators from Disney. The computer program molds their animation around tables and chairs. There's a 'POV' software program that enables them to draw over a blocked area of the CG animation, and it works well." ...

I watched part of a half-finished sequence, and the hand-drawn and CG elements are pretty seamless. There are still a few minor kinks, but the stuff has a fresh, spontaneous feel. If the story matches the process, DWA should have another winner.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is Disney helping Dreamworks with M&MS?

Nathan said...

I assume the animators were formerly at Disney.

Site Meter