Rolling into the weekend, animated features' totals were as follows:
#6 -- Planes -- $75,004,184
#16 -- Despicable Me 2 -- $356,098,810
#18 -- Smurfs 2 -- $67,275,199
#22 -- Monsters University -- $264,537,017
#29 -- Turbo -- $80,184,721
Everything but Planes is pretty much done, domestic release-wise. All of the above features remain in release; most are in only a smattering of theaters, pulling in tiny numbers.
Add On: Your weekend Top Ten.
1) Riddick (3,107 theaters) $7.3M Friday $18M weekend.
2) Lee Daniels' The Butler $2.3M Friday and $8.2M weekend $92M cume.
3) We’re The Millers (3,445 theaters) $2.2M Friday $7.7M weekend $123.7M cume.
4) Instructions Not Included (717 theaters) $1.6M Friday (-15%) $6M Weekend $16.7M cume.
5) One Direction: This is Us (Sony) Week 2 $1.1M Friday Weeken $3.4M, Cume 23.4 M
6. Elysium (Sony) Week 5 [Runs 2,241] R Friday $887K, Weekend $2.9M, Cume $84.9M
7. Planes (Disney) Week 5 [Runs 3,033] PG Friday $862K, Weekend $3.9M, Cume $79.0M
8. Blue Jasmine (Sony Classics) Week 7 [Runs 1,069] PG13 Friday $655K, Weekend $2.4M, Cume $25.2M
9. The World’s End (Focus Features) Week 3 [Runs 1,520] R Friday $697K, Weekend $2.2M, Cume $21.7M
10. Getaway(Fox) Week 2 [Runs 2,135] PG Friday $640K (-55%), Weekend $2.1M, Cume $8.6M
Add On: TIME analyzes summer b.o.:
... After a lackluster winter and spring, the summer box office paid off big, but on a bigger investment. The period from the first weekend in May to the last weekend in August brought $4.76 billion in domestic revenue, up 8% from the former record-holder, 2011. Ticket prices were higher, but more tickets were sold — 593 million, the most since 2007.
To make more, Hollywood had to spend more. Three of the four top-grossing pictures (Iron Man Three, Man of Steel and Monsters University) cost at least $200 million to produce, with another $100 million or so for each to market. The only bargains among the top 10 were a frugally made animated sequel (Despicable Me 2), the usual token R-rated comedy, but this time with women (The Heat) and a rare horror movie to make it big in summer (The Conjuring). ...