Saturday, April 25, 2015

So Simple

... and so why are they even paying you?

10 things no animator wants to hear

“I don’t have any concept art or storyboards yet, but a story outline will do, right?” ...

“It must be so much fun to play around with computers all day. I bet it doesn’t even feel like a job.”

“The way you’ve rigged and animated that character is cool, but wouldn’t it be better with motion capture?” ...

“I do like the way you’ve animated it, but I’m still not quite sure what would work best. Could we try it a couple of different ways, just to see which I like better?” ...

No creative person likes wishy-washiness. Once long ago, I asked a Disney supervisor what he thought of a premise/outline I had written, and he responded with "I'd rather not say one way or the other."

(Which is INCREDIBLY useful. Better to have the Woolie Reitherman answer: "This sure leaves ME cold." At least you know where you stand.)

For most mortals, doing a job well takes work. And creating something from nothing involves skill, thought, and at least a touch of inspiration.

Outsiders are often oblivious to that. They don't understand that perspiration and planning is integral to the magic they see on the screen. For creators, that ignorance is maddening. And frustrating. The end product looks effortless, so of course it is, right?

No. Not by a long shot.

H/t, President Emeritus Tom Sito.

0 comments:

Site Meter