Thursday, May 21, 2009

Disney Animation's TeeVee Special

The last several months, every time I trek through Disney's hat building, I see some nice images and artwork for Christmas elves. I even get artists to tell me what the heck they are, but since it hasn't been unveiled, I keep my mouth (and typing fingers?) quiet about it.

But now those elves are out of the sleigh:

Half-hour animated event revolves around an elite elves unit -- known as Prep and Landing -- that makes sure homes are ready for Santa's visit. Story centers on an elf (Dave Foley) who thinks he's about to get a promotion -- but instead is paired with a new recruit (Derek Richardson). The duo then go on their Christmas Eve mission, where they encounter unexpected challenges ...

DreamWorks and Disney are both busy doing television specials of the c.g. variety. These aren't series spin offs of theatrical features produced cheaply in Mumbai, but high-end specials done top to bottom in Glendale and Burbank.

I think the idea is to create a clatch of entertaining featurettes that can go on the teevee, those little silver disks that people play in their computers and home players, and also go into theatres. I personally like the half-hour format, and I'm happy that the big studios are doing a clatch of them in-house.

I know of others now in work, but since they haven't been announced, you won't hear any details about them from me.

4 comments:

dave said...

i like the design of those elves. looking forward to it!

(what's a clatch?)

Steve Hulett said...

clatch (n.) a soft or lumpy mass.

I'm being a little free and easy with my usage here; I'm defining the word as "group of," which is a little wrong. So it comes off as pejorative, ("clatch of mud") but that wasn't my intent.

Better some other word, yes? "Group" "cluster," "bunch?"

Too late now.

film izle said...

latch (n.) a soft or lumpy mass.

I'm being a little free and easy with my usage here; I'm defining the word as "group of," which is a little wrong. So it comes off as pejorative, ("clatch of mud") but that wasn't my intent.

Better some other word, yes? "Group" "cluster," "bunch?"

Too late now.

çizgi film izle said...

i like the design of those elves. looking forward to it!

Site Meter