Now with delectable Add On.
It appears the the lawn gnomes have finished in the "Show" position for Friday.
1. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never 3D (Paramount) NEW [3,105 Theaters] Friday $12.5M, Estimated Weekend $28M
2. Just Go With It (Sony Pictures) NEW [3,548 Theaters] Friday $10M, Estimated Weekend $30M
3. Gnomeo and Juliet (Disney) NEW [2,994 Theaters] Friday $5.8M, Estimated Weekend $22M
4. Eagle (Focus Features) NEW [2,296 Theaters] Friday $3M, Estimated Weekend $8.5M
5. The Roommate (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 2 [2,534 Theaters] Friday $2.4M (-62%), Estimated Weekend $7.5M, Estimated Cume $25.2M ...
Gnomeo and Juliet, of course, has had a long and checkered history. In development at Disney Feature Animation during the David Stainton regime, then out of development after Lasseter came in and took a look at it ("Why are we making this?"), the feature ended up at Miramax before finally landing a berth on Diz Co.'s Touchstone slate. The picture's had a mixed critical reception, but we'll see how it performs over the next few weeks.
Add On: Preliminary results for the weekend finals are in, and whattayaknow? The garden gnomes were surprisingly effective:
Disney's 3D family entry Gnomeo & Juliet did strong business in debuting to an estimated $25.5 million from 2,994 locations, scoring the best February opening for an animated pic (not a primetime month for toons). Rivals credit a strong marketing campaign for the film's success, as well as great reviews. Film came in No. 3.
I think what we're seeing here is the continuing power of c.g. animated features. There have been at least Six strong openings for animation in the past eleven months. Phenomenal.