Now with licorice-flavored Add On
The Friday numbers show live-action back on top, with animation running in the "Place" position.
1. Battle: Los Angeles (Sony) NEW [3,417 Theaters] -- Friday $13.5, Estimated Weekend $39M
2. Rango (Paramount) Week 2 [3,923 Theaters] -- Friday $5.5M (-43%), Estimated Weekend $23.5M, Estimated Cume $69M
3. Red Riding Hood (Warner Bros) NEW [3,030 Theaters] -- Friday $5.7M, Estimated Weekend $15.1M
4. The Adjustment Bureau (MRC/Universal) Week 2 [2,847 Theaters] -- Friday $3.4M (-48%), Estimated Weekend $11M, Estimated Cume $38.2M
5. Mars Needs Moms (Imagemovers/Disney) NEW [3,117 Theaters] -- Friday $1.8, Estimated Weekend $7.5M
Rango had a considerable drop, but by Sunday will be nudging against $70 million. Mars appears to be Dead On Arrival.
Add On: Down the home stretch, there are three (count 'em) animated movies in the Top Ten.
At #2, we have Rango ($23,050,000).
At #5, we find Mars Needs Moms ($6,800,000 ... ouch!)
And in the #10 spot, there is Gnomeo and Juliet ($3,546,000).
Despite overall box-office being down, the cartoon division is holding its own.