Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dimensional DreamWorks

DreamWorks Animation's CTO Ed Leonard sat down earlier today at the GigaOM Roadmap conference in San Francisco and spoke of many things ...

Watch live streaming video from gigaomroadmap at livestream.com

... Leonard admitted that some of Hollywood’s 3-D releases in recent months have been duds. “There’s been some stuff that has hit the market that has been less than great,” he said diplomatically. Unfortunately, 3-D is a much more sensual experience, which can include very physical side effects when you watch a bad movie. “With “3-D, you are really like: I don’t feel that good,” ...

Although I think DWA makes some of the best 3-D going, I still mostly avoid it. My tribe loved Puss in Boots, but we watched it in the flat version. The goggles, the moving View Master, not for us.

Leonard also talked about the deep development slate of DWA product that is now lined up on the studio runway. Ten to fifteen projects at any one time, usually three or four in production and another ten in various stages of development. Jeffrey K. and associates aren't fooling around.

4 comments:

Scott Squires said...

Actually puss in boots had very good 3D. You missed out on one of the better ones.

Steve Hulett said...

So I've been told.

Enh. I can always go back and look a second time in 3-D.

Steve Hulett said...

So I've been told.

Enh. I can always go back and look a second time in 3-D.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm seeing Steve's comments in 3-D! Let's see, turn my head, cross my eyes...

Site Meter