Part of the afternoon -- after an hour on the 101 and 405 Freeways -- was whiled away in Culver City at Sony Pictures Animation ...
First thing, I ran into a director I know who is developing a new feature. He said:
I developed this at another studio but they put it in turn-around and I've worked on it here for several months. Doesn't have a title, but we're hoping to get it made. When we finish the script revisions, we hope to get approval for storyboards and then story reels ..."
I won't tell you more about the project becasue A) I have no clue about what it is and (assuming I did) B) I've got no interest in getting reprimanded*.
Meanwhile, a lot of SPA staffers were preparing for Hotel Transylvania meeting (Yes, Virginia, HT is still in pre-production.) And a long teaser for the upcoming Smurfs was being worked on. Look for it in a theater or on a Sony DVD next Fall.)
* Reprimands for reckless blogging that Steve Hulett has received:
1) Reprimand from "Simpsons Movie" producer for revealing the feature was in Cinemascope. (But Fox lawyer said: "Uh, no. Screen shape is not proprietary information.")
2) Reprimand for revealing that a character model sheet had changed slightly.
3) Reprimand for putting up proprietary artwork from unreleased animated Sony feature Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs on blog. (One small problem: artwork had nothing to do with movie; was actually a screen grab of a doughnut advertisement.)
4) Received reprimand from Disney publicist for revealing title "Lion King 1 1/2." (Hulett's response: You're sh*tting me.")
5) Reprimand for revealing Disney employees were being laid off. (Not recklees blogging in this case, but reckless talking to energetic reporter.)
Hulett's conclusion: Steve Hulett is reckless. And some studio people have overtight sphincters and too much time on their hands.