Now with smoky barbeque Add Ons
... near the Ides of March.
... With 24 percent of schoolchildren out for spring break, Universal's holdover Dr. Seuss' The Lorax is doing sizable business as well and could gross $10 million to $11 million for the day, putting it in a dead heat with 21 Jump Street for the weekend ...
The Nikkster's early numbers:
1. 21 Jump Street (MGM/Sony) NEW [3,121 Theaters] R-rated Friday $13M, Weekend $35M
2. Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax (Universal) Week 3 [3,769 Theaters] PG-rated Friday $7.1M, Weekend $27.9M, Cume $163.5
3. John Carter (Disney) Week 2 [3,749 Theaters] PG13-rated Friday $3.9M, Weekend $13.6M (-55%), Cume $53.2M
4. Project X (Warner Bros) Week 3 [2,922 Theaters] R-rated Friday $1.5M, Weekend $4.4M, Cume $48.5
5. A Thousand Words (DreamWorks/Paramount) Week 2 [1,895 Theaters] PG13-rated Friday $1.1M, Weekend $3.9M (-36%), Cume $12.3M
6. Act Of Valor (Relativity) Week 4 (2,765 Theaters] R-rated Friday $1.1M, Weekend $3.8M, Cume $62.6M
7. Safe House (Universal) Week 6 [1,920 Theaters] R-rated Friday $817K, Weekend $2.9M, Cume $120.4M
8. Journey 2 (Warner Bros) Week 6 [1,935 Theaters] PG-rated Friday $699K, Weekend $2.7M, Cume $95.3M
9. This Means War (Fox) Week 5 [1,660 Theaters] PG13-rated Friday $781K, Weekend $2.4M, Cume $50.8M
10. Silent House (Open Road) Week 2 [2,124 Theaters] R-rated Friday $799K, Weekend $2.2M (-66%), Cume $10.7M
It appears that John Carter had a bit of a drop from its first weekend to its second. Disney just can't catch a break with sci fi movies. Oh well ...
Add On: The old entrants move down a notch as 21 Jump Street rakes in $35 million.
... 21 Jump Street easily wrested the domestic weekend crown from Universal and Illumination's hit Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, which has ruled the domestic box office the past two weekends. Lorax continued to do good business, coming in No. 2 with $22.8 million in its third outing for a domestic cume of $158.4 million ...
John Carter perched on the third rung of the box office ladder, dropped -55.2%, weekend to weekend.
Add On Too TIME gives its take on the weekend here.