Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Disney Amble

I've been in and out of Disney F. A. a couple of times the last few days, running errands. People at F.A. seem upbeat... Lots of artists are pitching shorts projects. Story people said the pitch sessions are happening on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and there's beaucoup story ideas. John Lasseter was in today to see some of them. I got a glimpse of the new logo that Mike Gabriel did for Walt Disney Pictures. It's effing great. I think it will blow people away. I'm told it makes its debut at the front of "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" in early July. "Meet the Robinsons" is having some footage cut as story elements are reworked. Not too unusual, really. I talked to an old-timer about the revamps that happened to pictures in the dim and distant past -- the big Act II changes that happened during "Aladdin," and the cutting of sequences in "Fox and the Hound." (Now that I think about it, "The Black Cauldron," one of the more painful projects I worked on, was changed drastically from start of story work to the finish. And not, IMO, for the better. But I'm maybe not the best judge. I got bounced off the picture along with all the rest of the original story crew.)

5 comments:

Piotr said...

Is the new logo completely different? I think it's time for a new logo anyways, the only new thing to come out was from Pixar, where they added depth to the castle.

Steve Hulett said...

The new logo is a cousin of what went before: sky and clouds and a nighttime landscape then castle and fireworks and shimmering water and...

You'll see the the new stuff on or about July 9 when the "Pirates of the Caribbean" comes out. Worth seeing, I think.

Anonymous said...

Is there new music playing?

Steve Hulett said...

Mike Gabriel told me Monday that they were recording new music for the revamped logo on Tuesday.

So the tracks are -- as I type -- laid down, and all the Mouse has to do is meld music to image...

Anonymous said...

which castle is the new disney logo?

Site Meter