Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Studio Junket

And once more I've been traipsing to the studios. Yesterday was DreamWorks and Nickelodeon... At DreamWorks, the Seinfeld feature "Bee Movie" continues to chug along, and "Flushed Away" (that's the DreamWorks/Aardman collaboration) is back in full production mode after a pause for retooling. Staff is a little deflated that "Hedge" didn't open a trifle higher, and wonder if the picture will do big enough numbers so that employee bonuses kick in. (Nobody seems to doubt the film will turn a tidy profit...) At Nick, the shows currently in work include "Sponge Bob" (season five), "Tak" (season one -- and the show is looking for a qualified person in a director position), "El Tigre" (season one), the ever-popular "Danny Phantom" (season four), "Go Diego Go!" (season four - and hoping to pick up some storyboard artists), "Avatar" (season two, with a search on for board artists and director), and season one of "Downard Doghouse" (that has a need for storybook artist, animation director and storyboard artist.) (One small point: the job postings listed above come to us via Nick's career opportunities job postings. Nickelodeon tends to promote and hire from within, so even though they're always looking at candidates, they don't always hire from the outside talent pool.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I have turned my portfolio in to Nick several times, and been turned down several times, I gladly turn it in whenever I hear of an opening. I'm still waiting for the day when they might actually want me to work for them.

Anonymous said...

Danny Phantom is popular?
you must mean popular around the studio....

Anonymous said...

Anonymous(!),

with "turned down" - do you mean before or after a test?

Steve Hulett said...

I have an ongoing beef with a few studios. They e-mail TAG about job openings, then never hire anyone. They seem always to tap somebody already in the studio.

My other gripe: studios solicit portfolios for a job opening, then don't bother to OPEN the portfolio. And it would be nice if they would give a reason, ANY reason, why an applicant gets rejected.

(There is some slow improvement with this. But it's still too slow.)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, "Danny Phantom" is a flop, along with "Catscratch" and "The X's". And although it's had a strong run, it's good to see that "Fairly Odd Parents" really is out of production. Those last few episodes had serious writing problems. Who decided to turn Cosmo into a wife-abusing jackass and Timmy into a brat? Not funny, Frederator.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,

I was turned down on both occasions. I took a test for "Fairly Odd Parents", and they chose someone else (from the outside), and I've been turned down just by turning my book in. When I get my portfolio back, there was nothing inside saying whether or not someone even looked at it. It would be nice if they gave a little feedback!

Site Meter