Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Disney Cutbacks

A Disney executive told me some weeks ago that the company was going to be doing some serious cutbacks. But I didn't know until today how serious... Walt Disney Co. will substantially reduce its work force and slash its annual output of films from 18 to eight — cutbacks greater than Hollywood had anticipated, it was reported Wednesday. Additionally, Daily Variety said all the movies will be Disney-branded, suggesting diminished roles for its Touchstone label. The Hollywood trade paper said a Disney announcement was expected within 10 days. But the thing of it is, I don't believe cuts are coming on the artist side of the various animation divisions (Disney Feature Animation, Disney Toons, Disney TVA, etc.) . If anything, it seems to me that some of the bloated executive ranks might be trimmed. Just today, I was talking to one of the animated feature supervisors, and he was as mystified as I was that some of the Eisner-appointed execs remain hither and yon. "Maybe they're playing out their contracts," I offered. He shrugged. Neither of us had any good answers. And we probably won't for a little while yet. Elsewhere at Disney Feature Animation, I came across several Disney vets that have returned to work on "The Frog Princess." Good to see old faces back at the old homestead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning's Los Angeles Times says what none of yesterday's reports thought was important enough to mention: that animation, Miramax and the music unit are "expected to be spared" from the cuts.

Anonymous said...

"Hey, Mr. Iger! Your studio has just had the biggest opening weekend of any movie ever! What are you going to do next?"

"I'm going to Disneyland ... and FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!"

Site Meter