Friday, February 02, 2007

Larry E.'s Portfolio: Jim Fletcher

Jim Fletcher (1930-2004) started at Disney as an inbetweener in 1954, straight out of the Art Institute of Chicago. He was laid off in the 1958 shakeup, a few months after being promoted to animator, and spent a few years animating at UPA, Snowball, Eagle and Format ...

Jim Fletcher

... before going back to do comic book work at Disney, working on Scrooge, Mickey Mouse and Mad Madam Mim (some of his work can be seen here).

He spent the late 'sixties and 'seventies bouncing between Filmation and Hanna-Barbera as a background and layout artist; by the time of Larry Eikleberry's 1979 portrait he was supervising layout at Filmation.

The 1980s saw him doing comics work for Eternity Comics and Archie Comics, while once again reinventing himself as a storyboard artist for H-B, Marvel (on Transformers and GI Joe), Hyperion and Disney TV. (Reinvention is the name of the game in the 'toon industry, especially if you want to keep working.)

Jim passed away in 2004.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey!
my names Jenna Fletcher, and I'm 14, and Jim Fletcher is one of my cousins.
Unfortunatley, I never recieved the chance to meet him, but i have heard many great stories from my family. I was wondering if anyone had any other stories or pictures you would like to share with me and my family.
if so, please e-mail them to,
oeomagglio30@aol.com.


thanks!

Amy Fletcher Trende said...

My name is Amy Fletcher Trende. My dad and Jim were cousins. I miss him and his letters. I miss his Christmas cards. I was wondering if there is anybody else out there that can send me pictures and or stories about Jim. I have been working on my Family Tree for a long time. I would really apprecaite any information that you can send me. "Uncle" Jim was one of the greatest artists that lived. Long live Scooby Doo, and the alligator on Peter Pan, and everything else that he was done. We will miss you and so will our children and their children and so on. Thanks again, Amy Fletcher Trende

Site Meter