Another weekend, another round of new releases. And the latest super-hero movie shoves the boy wizard down to second place:
... Captain America: The First Avenger opened to an estimated $25.8 million. That number includes the $4 million from the midnight screenings where the movie initially staked its claim. And it puts Captain America's opening in the same neighborhood as May’s Thor, the last Marvel supermovie to hit theaters. ...
The tally sheet:
1) Cap'n American: First Avenger -- $25.7 million
2) Harry Poter, the Ending -- $14.6 million
3) Friends with Bennie -- $6.8 million
4) Horrible Bosses -- $3.7 million
5) Transformers -- $3.5 million
6) Zookeper -- $2.85 million
7) Cars 2 -- $1.7 million
8) Winnie the Pooh -- $1.6 million
The Disney/Pixar offerings have declined to the bottom of the Top Ten list, and will probably depart altogether within a short while.
Add On: So Cars 2 and Winnie the Pooh end up in the 7th and 8th positions, while Kung Fu Panda 2 ($160.8 million) and Rio ($142.6 million) are paired at 21 and 22. Couples!