Saturday, November 12, 2011

Going Samarai

I didn't realize the director of this weekend's Number One movie has his sights set on a Cartoon Network property:

At the Monday premiere of Immortals, [Tarsem] Singh revealed his secret wish: to helm a live-action version of Samurai Jack. ...

“I love Samurai Jack. I would love to direct that.” He said it’s the epic style, pace and art that he admires.

“It’s brilliant. The speed, it embraces where it comes from. I find that comic strip films are halfway grounded. They don’t play my chord. But I love Samurai Jack. I love the animation," ...

More and more, animated features and live-action features are melding together. Tintin, Planet of the Apes, Avatar and Kung Fu Pandas I and II. You've got animators working on all of them. Even J. Edgar, a most old-fashioned bio pic, has a sizable Visual Effects crew.

So why shouldn't Tarsem Singh do a live-action version of a t.v. cartoon? One way or the other, there will be a boatload of animation in it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I love Samurai Jack. I love the animation".

In fact I love it so much I'm going to make a live-action feature version of it instead of animation, that's how much I love the animation.

Right.

Anonymous said...

That is because in their minds, live-action is a gift to bestowed upon us mere animation practitioning mortals.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope they can get someone who can tell a compelling story, unlike the original series.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you should really let bygones be bygones, you poor bitter soul.

Anonymous said...

If he's such a fan, could he perhaps help produce Genndy's animated Samurai Jack film which I've been waiting for for years to actually conclude the story? Maybe he could even co-direct it, to keep production going while Genndy gets distracted by other projects like Hotel Transylvania. I just want to see that animated finale movie!

Site Meter