Ms. Finke, like always, gets the stats out early.
1. Cars 2 3D (Pixar/Disney) NEW [4,115 Theaters] Friday $28M, Estimated Weekend $75M
2. Bad Teacher (Sony) NEW [3,049 Theaters] Friday $12M, Estimated Weekend $31M
3. Green Lantern 3D (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,816 Theaters] Friday $6M (-72%), Estimated Weekend $19.4M (-63%), Estimated Cume $91M
4. Mr. Popper’s Penguins (Fox) Week 2 [3,342 Theaters] Friday $4M (-37%), Estimated Weekend $13M, Estimated Cume $42.5M
5. Super 8 (Paramount) Week 3 [3,424 Theaters] Friday $3.9M (-34%), Estimated Weekend $12.1M, Estimated Cume $95.3M
6. X-Men: First Class (Fox) Week 4 [2,633 Theaters] Friday $2.2M, Estimated Weekend $7M, Estimated Cume $133.4M
7. The Hangover Part II (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week 5 [2,755 Theaters] Friday $1.9M, Estimated Weekend $6M, Estimated Cume $244.1M
8. Bridesmaids (Universal) Week 7 [2,031 Theaters] Friday $1.8M, Estimated Weekend $6M, Estimated Cume $147.3M
9. Kung Fu Panda 2 3D (DWA/Paramount) Week 5 [2,527 Theaters] Friday $1.3M, Estimated Weekend $4.5M, Estimated Cume $153.4M
10. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Week 6 [1,038 Theaters] Friday $1.2M, Estimated Weekend $4.5M, Estimated Cume $28.6M ...
The Panda sequel takes a hit with the new Cars installment accelerating into the marketplace. Where Pixar's latest ends up is anyone's guess, but it's going to have a solid opening weekend.
Add On: The Reporter breaks down Cars Deux's big numbers:
... [T]he 3D toon did best in America’s heartland, a.k.a., the red states.
The turnout was so strong that the pic roared past expectations to gross an impressive $68 million in its domestic box office debut.