Effects-heavy Green Lantern bursts into the marketplace at #1, taking $21.5 million on Friday. Kung Fu Panda 2 slides to sixth place, and now has a domestic cume of $137.2 million. ...
The Nikkster, in that magical way that is hers alone, snarks: "Mr. Popper's" result shows that Jim Carrey's popularity keeps waning in live-action movies: his last pair were Fun With Dick And Jane (2005) opening to $14.6M, and The Number 23 (2007) debuted to $14.3M and Yes Man (2008) which first released to $18.2M. ...
Go ahead, Nik, kick a funny man when he's down.
1. Green Lantern (Warner Bros) NEW [3,816 Runs] Friday $21.6M, Estimated Weekend $60M
2. Mr. Popper's Penguins (Fox) NEW [3,338 Runs] Friday $6.4M, Estimated Weekend $19M
3. Super 8 (Paramount Week 2 [3,408 Runs] Friday $5.8M (-52%), Estimated Weekend $19.5M, Estimated Cume $71.5M
4. X-Men: First Class (Fox) Week 3 [3,375 Runs] Friday $3.3M, Estimated Weekend $11.5M, Estimated Cume $129M
5. The Hangover Part II (Legendary/Warner Bros) Week 4 [3,460 Runs] Friday $3M, Estimated Weekend $10M, Estimated Cume $233M
6. Kung Fu Panda 2 (Paramount) Week 4 [3,469 Runs] Friday $2.5M, Estimated Weekend $8.2M, Estimated Cume $143M
7. Bridesmaids (Universal) Week 5 [2,573 Runs] Friday $2.4M, Estimated Weekend $7.2M, Estimated Cume $136M
8. Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 (Disney) Week 5 [2,742 Runs] Friday $2.2M, Estimated Weekend $8.2M, Estimated Cume $222M
9. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Week 5 [1,083 Runs] Friday $1.4M, Estimated Weekend $5M, Estimated Cume $21.5M
10. Judy Moody (Relativity) Week 2 [2,524 Runs] Friday $825K (-63%), Estimated Weekend $2.5M, Estimated Cume $11.4M
Add On: And whoops, looks as though Green Lantern gets marked down to "underperformer," as the trades inform us:
... Lantern may have won the domestic box office race with a $52.7 million debut, but the 3D superhero pic fell steeply on Saturday, dashing the studio’s hopes for a launch upwards of $55 million. ...
Apparently there is an upper limit to the number of super heroes the viewing public will lap up in a given season.