Monday, January 16, 2012

Longshot

This doesn't sound good.

When Pixar's "Cars 2" lost the Golden Globe award for animated feature to ... "The Adventures of Tintin" ... it marked the first time in the history of the Globes' category that a movie from the beloved animation house failed to capture the top prize. ...

There's a first time for everything.

But seriously. I haven't met many people living in the Animation Community who think that Cars 2 will take home the Little Gold Man this year.

I haven't met many who are high on Tintin either, but never underestimate the power of Spielberg/Jackson in leveraging the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. They are Big Shots. Animation people are anything but. Even with all the high-grossing films they have worked on.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"never underestimate the power of Spielberg/Jackson in leveraging the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. They are Big Shots. Animation people are anything but. Even with all the high-grossing films they have worked on."

Hmmmmm ... why is that ?

Discuss.

Anonymous said...

Hollywood.

Anonymous said...

You need to get some animators to marry Angelina Jolie and have a high-profile divorce and then you can be big shots too.

Floyd Norman said...

Disney writer/producer Bill Walsh (Mickey Mouse, Mary Poppins) married actress Ruth Roman back in the day.

Perhaps he had the right idea.

Anonymous said...

I know Cars 2 was a very sucky film but Tin Tin is a much bigger piece of crap.

Either Winnie The Pooh or Kung Fu panda 2 should wave won.

Coloman said...

I was surprised Cars 2 was even nominated and that Tintin won... honestly I felt Tintin was flawed but had enough going for it (the motorcycle chase/pirates ship/crane sequences) that I wasn't upset it won. I'd personally vote Rango, only because I haven't seen Pooh myself, and the movie was gorgeous and fun (though had some third act issues). It hasn't been the strongest year for animated films this year, at least critically.

Anonymous said...

People were determined to despise Cars 2 from the start so yeah, I don't think it'll win any Oscars this year.

I'm hoping Rango will get it.

Anonymous said...

I was really expecting Rango to get the award. Then I remembered that Rango has ILM connections, and this world has become Peter Jackson worshipped and Lucas haters. So of course that piece of Dead-eye mo-crap would win.

Site Meter