Sunday, January 09, 2011

Climbing to Profits

The overseas derby continues apace ... with Tangled/Rapunzel swinging high in the catbird seat:

'Tangled' Knocks 'Gulliver's' to No. 3 ...

... First place openings in 10 markets plus strong holdovers in German-speaking territories put the 3D animation retelling of the classic Rapunzel tale over the top. Foreign box office cume now stands at $179.3 million from playoff in about 55% of the international marketplace. Global cume is $355.2 million. ...

B.O. Mojo lists Tangled as owning a $260 million production cost. Unless Iger and Ross are now handing out internal company data to news organizations and internet websites (and I don't think so), I would take the production expenses found on the worldwide web with a couple of shakers of salt. Companies can ... and often do ... move accounting numbers around to suit corporate needs.

Last point: never underestimate cash flow, and note that Tangled's is now excellent, with dvd's, television and ancillary markets still to come. Other foreign accumulations for animated titles:

DreamWorks Animation's Megamind continued to be a strong draw Mexico ($1.2 million in its fourth round from 450 locations; cume $11.4 million), and grossed $7.8 million overall. ... Foreign cume is $149.3 million.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Lasseter was able to get a hit out of ole Disney. The studio everyone gave up on. I hope they return to making epic, thought-provoking, and entertaining films again.

Anonymous said...

Not sure who it is who gave up on Disney. Sounds like something made up, to promote an underdog feeling. Most everyone I know (actual working pros) has been cheering for Disney to get back on track and make successful movies, and keep a crew or two busy full time. It's great that after multiple tries Lasseter was able to do it, though I think the real credit should go to Glenn Keane and the Disney artists who stuck with the project through thick and thin and turned out a winner.

Anonymous said...

Not sure who it is who gave up on Disney. Sounds like something made up, to promote an underdog feeling.

Tell that to Katzenberg who thought Disney wasn't even considered a player in the industry.

I'm glad it's still doing well. I just wonder what the film, Rapunzel was going to be like under Glenn Keane's direction. I heard it was much darker.

Anonymous said...

I just wonder what the film, Rapunzel was going to be like under Glenn Keane's direction

I think it worked out.

Anonymous said...

Tell that to Katzenberg who thought Disney wasn't even considered a player in the industry.

You have a link to an interview to back that up?

Anonymous said...

"You have a link to an interview to back that up?"

I would like to see a link too. I've seen a few comments that claim this, but no link to an official interview.

"Not sure who it is who gave up on Disney. Sounds like something made up, to promote an underdog feeling."

Wow, you're one of the few people I know that actually hasn't given up on Disney. The studio hasn't had a real hit for quite awhile now, especially when compared to Pixar and DreamWorks.

I gave up after Chicken Little, sure the Lasseter regime gave a flick of hope, but it wasn't until Tangled that I knew the studio was in good hands.

Anonymous said...

EDIT: flicker of hope

Anonymous said...

Good for WDAS!

Now as for the next projects, I vote for either A). Snow Queen or B). Epic Mickey.

Come on, if Disney's going to give the stupid Muppets a new movie, how about one about an actual DISNEY character? The MAIN Disney character? I'd be first in line to see such a movie, plus I'd happily clean out my bank account buying the tie-in merchandise. After playing the Epic Mickey game, I'm dying to see Mickey and Oswald on the big screen. Oswald's awesome. Who needs Roger Rabbit?

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see an Epic Mickey movie too. According to vgchartz the game has sold 1.5 million worldwide, but as far as I know Disney hasn't commented on whether they're happy with that or not. I'd personally just like some sort of official confirmation on what's after Pooh. I know Mort and Joe Jump are next but I haven't seen concept art or even a makeshift title for them yet.

Site Meter