While "Hotel Transylvania" has become an unlikely hit ($187 million worldwide box office), the Focus Features-distributed "ParaNorman" hasn't done as well as the previous film from Laika Entertainment, "Coraline." The critics loved its dark and semi-scary tone, but since opening on August 17, "ParaNorman" has brought in $55 million domestically and $91 million worldwide. Its budget was unavailable.
[And] Disney and Tim Burton's "Frankenweenie" has turned into a bit of a box-office pumpkin, despite being a critical favorite. ...
This isn't quite as amazing as The Wrap thinks. BeCAUSE:
1) Stop motion animation has never performed at the same level as its CGI cousin.
2) "Dark" movies are seldom the box office winners that zany comedies are. And black-and-white movies are pretty much non-starters.
3) Never under-estimate the power of Adam Sandler (in the right vehicle.)
4) Always respect Genddy Tartakovsky's command over the animated cartoon. (He has an amazing track record.)
5) Sony Pictures Animation was due for an out-sized hit.