Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hiring Preferences

Per Ms. Chapman:

... I was hired because I was a woman.

I’m not making assumptions. I was simply told that by the executive at Disney Animation with the cold blue eyes who sat behind his desk. It was 1987. They were getting some flack because they didn’t have enough women in creative positions–especially their story department – their current count: 0.

“We need a woman. And you’re the right price.” His exact words – I kid you not. ...

It's good to be in the right place at the right time with the right skill sets. But Brenda has talent in abundance, so it's not surprising that the Mouse gave her the nod.

Funny thing, but when a twenty-something punk I knew got hired into the Disney Feature training program eleven years prior to Brenda Chapman, there was another story trainee, a young woman, who got hired at the same time.

But after three months of writing never-to-be-used story treatments and scripts (and sweating bullets) the woman was let go and the punk retained. A few weeks later, story artist Pete Young told the punk:

I'm kind of sorry they kept you, Hulett. That girl had a spark that I liked. ...

Right place. Right time. I wouldn't have lasted in 1987. I would very likely never have been hired in the first place.

0 comments:

Site Meter