Actually, the box office is not near enough for the big-bucks Jack the Giant Slayer that Time-Warner launched on Friday:
The year's first tentpole [is] on course for a weekend opening in the $24 million to $25 million range, not enough considering the movie cost nearly $300 million, including a $195 million production budget. ...
Moviegoing was soft overall in North America on Friday, with new entries 21 & Over and The Last Exorcism Part II placing No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, with a modest $3.4 million and $3.3 million. ...
The problem for our fine, entertainment conglomerates is, it's fine to swing for the fences with big-budget extravaganzas, but when the opening weekend's grosses end up being like an Adam Sandler comedy, then the big extravaganza inevitably turns into a big write-down.
Not particulalry good for the overall health of the business.
The Friday Scorecard
1) JACK THE GIANT SLAYER --$7,710,000
2) 21 AND OVER -- $3,340,000
3) THE LAST EXORCISM PART II -- $3,250,000
4) IDENTITY THIEF -- $2,700,000 ($100,427,000)
5) SNITCH -- $2,100,000 ($18,810,000)
6) SAFE HAVEN -- $2,020,000 ($52,813,000)
7) SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK --$1,560,000 ($111,140,000)
8) ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH -- $1,297,000 ($37,784,000)
9) A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD -- $1,180,000 ($56,304,000)
10) DARK SKIES -- $1,088,000 (10,985,000)
Add On: Jack earns $28 million in its opening frame, not particularly good for a movie that cost $300 mill to make and launch.
As our friends at The Hollywood Reporter tell it:
There was no fairy tale ending for Bryan Singer's 3D fantasy-adventure Jack the Giant Slayer at the weekend box office, where the year's first big-budget tentpole topped the domestic chart with a dismal $28 million.
All that money ... all that CGI ... vaporized in forty-eight hours.
WEEKEND DOMESTIC BOX OFFICE
1. Jack The Giant Slayer 3D (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [Runs 3,525] PG13 -- Friday $7.6M, Saturday $12.2M, Weekend $26.0M
2. Identity Thief (Universal) Week 4 (Runs 3,230) R -- Friday $2.7M, Saturday$4.2M, Weekend $9.7M, Cume $107.5M
3. 21 And Over (Relativity) NEW [Runs 2,771] R -- Friday $3.3M, Saturday $3.6M, Weekend $9.1M
4. The Last Exorcism Part II (CBS Films) NEW [Runs 2,700] PG13 -- Friday $3.2M, Saturday $3.2M, Weekend $7.9M
5. Snitch (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 2 [Runs 2,511] PG13 --Friday $2.1M, Saturday $3.5M, Weekend $7.5M (-43%), Cume $24.2M
6. Escape From Planet Earth 3D (Weinstein) Week 3 [Runs 3,110] PG -- Friday $1.3M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $6.6M, Cume $43.1M
7. Safe Haven (Relativity) Week 3 [Runs 2,951] PG13 -- Friday $2.0M, Saturday $2.9M, Weekend $6.2M, Cume $57.0M
8. Silver Linings Playbook (Weinstein) Week 16 [Runs 1,836] R -- Friday $1.5M, Saturday $2.7M, Weekend $5.6M, Cume $115.2M
9. A Good Day To Die Hard (Fox) Week 3 [Runs 2,589] R -- Friday $1.1M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $4.4M, Cume $59.5M
10. Dark Skies (Weinstein) Week 2 [Runs 2,313] PG13 -- Friday $1.0M, Saturday $1.6M, Weekend $3.5M, Cume $13.4M