Thursday, March 07, 2013

Buying Star Wars

The Mouse's acquisition of Lucasfilm, per Bloomberg:

... At first Lucas wouldn’t even turn over his rough sketches of the next three Star Wars films. When Disney executives asked to see them, he assured them they would be great and said they should just trust him. “Ultimately you have to say, ‘Look, I know what I’m doing. Buying my stories is part of what the deal is.’ I’ve worked at this for 40 years, and I’ve been pretty successful,” Lucas says. “I mean, I could have said, ‘Fine, well, I’ll just sell the company to somebody else.’ ”

Once Lucas got assurances from Disney in writing about the broad outlines of the deal, he agreed to turn over the treatments—but insisted they could only be read by Iger, Horn, and Kevin Mayer, Disney’s executive vice president for corporate strategy. “We promised,” says Iger. “We had to sign an agreement.” ...

Lucasfilm, as you may know, has an animation division with an animated feature in work. Oscar winner Brenda Chapman helms the project. Whether there will be more features out of the division beyond this first one, I know not.

There are a number of veteran feature people up in San Francisco, working on the movie.

6 comments:

Dan Siciliano said...

I think Disney buying Lucasfilm and making new Star Wars films under Disney's banner instead of Fox is BLASPHEMY!! I think Bob Iger wants to make Disney power hungry, if you ask me.

Grant said...

Don't be silly. Fox didn't even originally WANT the film. They were only a distributor, anyway. Looking forward to Weta's effects work on the new films, though;

Unknown said...

Wait, hold on. Chapman is directing a Lucasfilm animated project, and this is confirmed? Yes!

Steve Hulett said...

This is old news (Google it.) She went to Lucasfilm last summer.

I'm informed that Kathleen Kennedy is a good topkick.

Anonymous said...

Is this animated feature at Lucasfilm the musical about fairies that was announced a long time ago or a different project?

Steve Hulett said...

Sadly, nobody has told me. And I don't have walking-around privileges at the studio (it's up north), so I'm in the dark.

Site Meter