Diz Co. rides high with the wizard.
1. Oz The Great and Powerful (Disney) Week 2 [Runs 3,912] PG Friday $11.4M, Weekend $42.0M, Cume $144.9M
2. The Call (Troika/TriStar/Sony) NEW [Runs 2,507] R Friday $6.2M, Weekend $16.7M
3. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (Warner Bros) NEW [Runs 3,160] PG13 Friday $3.7M, Weekend $11.1M
4. Jack The Giant Slayer (Warner Bros) Week 3 [Runs 3,357] PG13 Friday $1.7M, Weekend $6.8M, Cume $54.5M
5. Identity Thief (Universal) Week 6 [Runs 2,842] R Friday $1.3M, Weekend $4.8M, Cume $124.0M
6. Snitch (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 4 [Runs 2,353] PG13 Friday $1.0K, Weekend $3.8M, Cume $37.6M
7. 21 And Over (Relativity) Week 3 [Runs 2,424] R Friday $950K, Weekend $2.7M, Cume $22.0M
8. Safe Haven (Relativity) Week 5 [Runs 2,206] PG13 Friday $840K, Weekend $2.5M, Cume $67.0M
9. Silver Linings Playbook (Weinstein) Week 18 [Runs 1,602] R Friday $745K, Weekend $2.5M, Cume $124.6M
10. Dead Man Down (FilmDistrict) Week 2 [Runs 2,188] R Friday $640K (-65%), Weekend $2.1M, Cume $9.4M
One of our fine trade papers says:
Disney’s “Oz the Great and Powerful” is looking at an admirable hold for its second frame, dropping about 45% for a three-day haul likely at or a little shy of $45 million. The Mouse’s magic maker earned $11.4 million domestically Friday.
This beat out new entries “The Call” from Sony-TriStar and “The Incredible Burt Wonderstone” from Warner Bros.-New Line, Friday’s second and third, respectively. ...
Through last Thursday, the animated brigade had accumulated the following:
8) Escape from Planet Earth -- $49.8 million
21) Wreck-It Ralph -- $188.1 million
25) Rise of the Guardians -- $102.8 million
Escape From Planet Earth has now fallen out of the Top Ten, but the Weinsteins must be pleased that it's performed as well as it has. (Now if they can just hack their way through the lawsuits generated by some of the creators, they'll be all set.)
Add On: I spoke too soon. Escape clung to the tenth rung of the Popularity List, declining by the smallest percentage of any of the highest ten box office entertainments. It dropped 27.7% while losing 328 screens. The pic collected another $2.3 million and now owns a total of $52.2 million over the course of its domestic run.